Obsessed. This is really the only way for me to describe this recipe. Finally it is perfect and I have made my way through a delicious journey! As I made this recipe on Saturday I found myself eating the pureed mixture right out of the bowl. Something about the marriage of all flavors makes your stomach happy.
At first when I was making this recipe I had trouble getting the patties to stay together. When this would happen I would take the crumbles and turn it into a salad. Either way, it’s absolutely fantastic, delicious and filling.
Spicy Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
1/2 c. dried quinoa
1 can black beans, rinsed and divided in half
1 1/2 tsp. coconut oil
1/2 red onion, small dice
1/2 red pepper, small dice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 serrano pepper, minced
1 c. spinach
Salt and pepper
1. In a small sauce pan combine quinoa with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Turn off the heat when the quinoa is light and fluffy.
2. In a separate pan on medium heat add coconut oil. Once oil is melted add onions and peppers. Saute.
3.Add garlic cloves and spinach. Stir frequently so garlic doesn’t burn.
4. Add 1/2 black beans. Cook 3-5 minutes.
5. In a food processor add bean mixture and half of the quinoa. Process until smooth.
6. Transfer pureed bean mixture to a separate bowl. Add the remaining black beans and quinoa.
7. Bake in oven at 350. Flip burgers over after 15 minutes.If the burgers fall apart when flipping just reshape them. They will be more firm after further cooking. Cook 10 more minutes and bring them out of the oven.
8. Allow burgers to sit in the counter 5-10 minutes before serving.
*Use an ice cream scoop for perfect portions and even cooking time*
Below is the black bean quinoa salad. Check out those beautiful tomatoes, they are straight out of my garden; text book definition of local organic!
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how it turned out!